November 10th, 2001
Show All Python Arduino Processing.py Games Misc.
[last line] I love this town!— Ghostbusters, 1984
In June 2019, I completed my favourite project to date: a recreation of the 1982 arcade game Dig Dug. Although I took some artistic liberties, I think the result turned out to be pretty faithful to the original game. Putting Object Oriented Programming to full use, I managed to create a game that is much more complex than my prior forays in a way that, when looking at the code, actually seems simpler.
The first level of my recreation is faithful to the original game. However, every subsequent level is randomly generated with four enemies spawning in a random 'hole' dug in the map. Like in the original, ... See Full Post
In early 2019, I was introduced to Object Oriented Programming and returned to Processing.py to test out my new powers. I decided to recreate the classic 1979 arcade game Asteroids themed after the asteroid evasion scene in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
Unfortunately, I never completed the game. However, nearly all of the core features are already implemented: the asteroids split when hit, the player's ship experiences acceleration, points are assigned when asteroids are destroyed, and the player's lives d... See Full Post
In 2018, after getting back into working with the Arduino Uno via my KITT project, I decided to go bigger. At the time, I was into playing VRChat, a game where avatars can be imported in via 3-D models. This sparked my interest in 3-D modelling again, which, combined with my recent KITT project, prompted me to create a 3-D scanner.
I used the supplies available to me at my high school to build it, mostly using parts from Vex Robotics kits a... See Full Post
In 2018, I returned back to working with Arduino boards. For my second proper project, I made a recreation of KITT's scanner lights from the '80s show Knight Rider.
In the series, the scanner is depicted by red light that moves from side to side on the grill of main character Michael Knight's car (named KITT). To recreate this, I used an Arduino Uno, five red LEDS, a 10 kΩ resistor, 10 kΩ potentiometer, and five 330 Ω resistors.
I designed the lights to be toggled on or off by a push of a power button. As well, the speed of the 'movement' of the light could be controlled by a dial (the potentio... See Full Post
After I had finally learned about functions in late 2017/early 2018, I decided to make an arcade game taking place in the Star Wars universe (because of Episode VIII's release at the time).
The game takes the form of a shooter. Taking place just prior to the events of The Empire Strikes Back, the Millennium Falcon must destroy the incoming TIE fighters as they attempt to penetrate the shield surrounding the Rebel base on Hoth.
Unlike my prior games, Defenders of Hoth stores high scores in a file, allowing them to be conserved between play sessions instead of resetting each time. I made ... See Full Post
After backing JazzNESs on Kickstarter in 2017, I was inspired to make my third official Processing.py project: a bouncing animation (à la a DVD player's sleep screen) themed after my favourite game on the album: Galaga.
I created a simple edge-detection program that caused the player's ship from Galaga to bounce off the left and right sides of the screen, then a... See Full Post
In May/June 2017, after experimenting with Processing.py through GreenBot, I finally made my first proper game. What I dubbed 'The Fretboard Connection' is a rhythm game inspired by the likes of Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
The game is not too complex at its heart. The descending notes are activated by well-timed corresponding key presses that award points. The whammy bar (the shift key), as in Guitar Hero, can be pressed along with the correct key to charge the whammy meter. Once the meter is full, it can be activated to award bonus points for successful... See Full Post
My first major creation after I started learning Python was an interactive robot I named GreenBot.
Using Processing's Python mode, I was able to make him move around the screen at speeds controlled by the user, have him warp to the other side of the play area (à la Pac-Man), and have customization.
As well, I experimented with adding sound, resulting in the speed changes playing a higher/lower pitch sound when pressed based on the speed as well as a sound for when the style is changed.
This project helped... See Full Post
Around the time I started learning how to program, I meddled with 3-D modelling. Although I did not continue pursuing this skill, I did make one model that I was quite proud of: an R2-D2 keychain.
Even though I'm sure it has been done better by others, feel free to mess around with the model if you are so inclined. However, if you are tempted to print it, I'm not sure if it will be structurally sound, so please take that into account.
... See Full Post
Back when I was 14 in 2016, I completed my first coding project, which was an alarm clock. Although it does not amount to much when compared to my ability now, I am proud of what I was able to accomplish with so little experience.
The clock was made with an Arduino Uno, along with a compatible LCD, potentiometer, and buzzer/piezo.
A time can be set in the clock's code specifying when the alarm will go off, which it will continue to do for 15 minutes (a long time, I know, but my track record for waking up on time is not the best).
While the original build was housed in a wooden case, it ... See Full Post
No Events Scheduled